Tue Jan 5 Back to Blog Home
I had a lot of fun with this project, it had a few firsts in it. First Sharlene from SoSewDressmaking and I teamed up together to do a collaboration together. We had a think of patterns, we wanted to try a pattern neither of us had made before. So we settled on the Grainline Studio Tamarack Jacket. Sharlene and I really had a thing for jackets in 2020!
I had a browse at fabrics online and of course saw lots of options though I was keen to use fabrics from my stash for this jacket. I decided to use a cotton fabric that I purchased from a destash a while back. I also used a red viscose lining which I had bought from 1st for Fabrics.
I made a size 10 in this fabric but in reflection I think I would go up one size to accommodate thicker jumpers.
It was nice discussing our fabric choices with each other although we do this with many a project. Same with throughout the sewing process we chatted and bounced ideas off each other.
This was my first time quilting a piece of clothing. I had tried a little quilting on an iPad cover last year so that had given me a little taste for it. First I cut out all my outer fabric pieces, lining and batting. To make the quilting process easier I drew out the stitching lines out on the outer fabric pieces. I decided to do a different design for the back, each front and sleeves. I quite enjoyed the drawing process, it was quite therapeutic.
I don't have a walking foot for my machine but I might invest in one if I do any more quilting, I hear it makes it so much easier to sew. I had pinned my outer fabric with the batting and lining sandwiched together. To try and keep the quilting even, I sewed the middle line of stitching first through each pattern piece and worked my way out to the edges. I took my time quilting each of the times to ensure a steady line of stitching. Once all the quilting was done I sewed around the edges of each piece.
I did find the batting I bought flattened quite a bit when I pressed each piece, so I might try a different kind next. I think mine was a polyester kind.
Constructing the jacket was pretty straightforward, simply the shoulder seams first then it was onto adding binding onto the centre front, neckline along the hems and part of the side seams. I folded my binding to the inside so it can't be seen from the outside. So with this in mind I used a couple of different colours, red and a light blue as I ran out of red and it was good to use up some bias binding from my stash.
After the bias binding I sewed the arm seams and side seams, I decided to use a slightly bigger seam allowance to make some hand stitching easier afterwards. This was maybe a mistake as it made the jacket a teeny bit snug hence why I would go up one size if I made it again. Once the side seams were sewn I folded the seams in towards the fabric and hand stitched these all down. I think this is a lovely finish. It was also nice doing the hand stitching while catching up on some Netflix. I got this hand stitching idea from Sharlene and I's mutual friend who had made a Tamarack jacket previously. You can see her jacket on her Instagram 'Irishtoreen'.
To finish my jacket off I hand sewed a PinkCoatClub label which said "This Took Ages". I think it was very appropriate!
Some day after lockdown Sharlene and I intend to meet up to take distanced photographs in our Tamarack jackets. Also about Sharlene's jacket, it is absolutely divine!! I really love it, it might just go missing some day Sharlene ;)
Sharlene has also published a blog with her Tamarack jacket, check her Instagram out SoSewDressmaking to see the photos and also click here for her blog.
Thanks for reading,
ref: 25 | Tamarack Jacket
Tue Jan 5
Fri Jan 1
Tue Dec 1
Thu Nov 12
Thu Nov 12